Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Family Happenings and Other Stuff

Lately I have been quite busy with family happenings. My mother passed out and fell and hurt her back. After a couple of doctor visits it was determined that one of her doctors had prescribed a bp medication with too much diuretic. Her cardiologist believes that this caused dehydration which caused the fainting. I went to the cardiologist with her on Friday and was all prepared to spend the weekend with husband and son at our deer camp-"669". My mother's neighbor called me on Saturday afternoon telling me that I was needed because my mother was hurting in her back. I went to stay with her... went to bed at 11:00, was awakened with her beating the ceiling wall with a cane at 12:30. When I got down the stairs, she was writhing in pain. I had to call 911 and she was transported to local hospital. Would you believe after our arrival at 1:15 a.m., we waited until about 6:30 before a doctor came and examined her. Ugh... I was very tired, but thankful that the X-ray revealed no broken bones. I had a hard time going to sleep, but finally was able to take about a three hour nap on Sunday afternoon. I stayed with my mom the next three nights. I had planned to go home tonight and leave in the early a.m. for Dallas to stay with my granddaughter while her parents worked. My schedule got switched around, and I was needed to be there early in the morning, so I left as soon as I got off work and got here at about 8:45. Not meaning this to sound rude, but I think it will be more fun taking care of a three month old vs. an 81 year old.

On Saturday before I had to leave 669, I had a great time with my husband in a flatbottom going up and down the Neches River. We are trying to find a good place to put in and get picked up after kayaking. I have a couple of friends that want to make this trek. I kayaked last weekend at the Martin Dies State Park outside of Jasper. The trip is called Paddling the Rivers. You are shuttled up to Bevel Port, and you kayak down where the two rivers, the Neches and the Angelina come together. It was about 10 miles long, and took the majority of the day. It was a gorgeous day. I never knew the Angelina River was so wide. I did not see any alligators last weekend, but the day I was with my husband, I saw one about 4 feet long just basking on the bank of the Neches. He made his way into the river, submerged himself, and you would never know he was there. Umm.... scary to me.

Well, let me not miss the opportunity to talk more about my foot. I have been to four sessions with the physical therapist. My foot is not well, but I do think I have improvement. He has used ultra sound which sends sound waves deeply into the tissues. He showed me how to tape my foot, and I have learned to do many exercises to stretch that fascia. I am beginning to think that this pain will always be with me, but just maybe be manageable. I actually went on a four mile walk on Monday. I am beginning to think though that my dream of doing a triathlon will not occur. I have biked very little recently and I have not been swimming in 9 months. With so many other things occupying my time, I have not had the time or the energy to train properly. Oh well.... we shall see.

1 comment:

Bec said...

sorry about your mom! wish you could meet me at the crab festival this weekend! last year was a blast!