Total Pageviews

Monday, June 14, 2010

I Know, I Know, I Know


I know, I know, I know... I have been terrible about blogging. It just seems like I don't have much to say. I have been doing poorly with my exercise. I retired from work, and it looks like I just retired from exercise. One thing that having a regular job does is keep you on track. It keeps you on a schedule. When you no longer work, you can slow down. It is not hurry, hurry, hurry. I don't have to be anywhere at a certain time, and therefore, I sometimes just "lolly-gag" around. So I say to myself everyday that I am going to do my P90X or my Jackie Warner video. Now don't get me wrong. Sometimes I actually do the Jackie Warner video. But there is just no consistency right now. I recently took a visit to do more detailed work on the family condo. I had two friends go with me. One of them is a size 6 and she is that way because she has followed Weight Watchers for about 6-7 years. People will respond to her in astonishment when she says anything about WW. They look at this thin little lady and wonder why she goes. But she is quick to explain that she goes to "keep" the weight off. She is always counting her points. She knows what she can and cannot eat to keep in her point zone. Sometimes she overextends herself, but she is quick to recognize it. My other friend has lost over 20 lbs in three months by following http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and so she counts calories. She also tries to burn half of the calories she consumes for the day- if she eats 1200 calories, she shoots to burn 600 by walking or riding her stationary bike. This could be why she has had such great success. But being with them made me so see how much weight loss is such a mental issue. These women are no different from me or you. They don't have a fast metabolism, it did not come easy, they don't have lots of time to spend in exercise or to study up on this. But.. they made this their goal- their challenge. They both feel such success when they win out over temptation to overeat or to sit down when they are tired and not exercise. There is no magic pill- it is simple- burn more calories than what you eat. And by keeping the food diary in the beginning you will soon have this pretty downpat in your mind. However, both agree that writing it down and keeping tabs on it is still important to them to stay on task. Being with them was such motivation for me. I called them my "diet trainers". I am posting a photo of us together last week.
My days of lately have consisted of several doctor appointments for my mother. We have been to about four of them in the last two weeks along with a dental visit too. I have also been to the beach condo about 4 times in the last month. I did also manage to get is some fun times with friends and a kayak trip. I will post those photos later. I hope to get back into the habit of blogging as many of you have told me you have missed me.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ahhh!! YAY! A post from my most favorite Titus Woman Dee!!! :-)
It's so good to hear from you and know that you are doing well! Still hanging out with your friends and enjoying the retired life! Everything you write makes me look forward to those years more and more!
As for the diet and exercise, you are absolutely right.
I had a friend send me an e-mail recently. It was pretty much life-changing for me. It was long...but the jest of it was that 1) she could see how much I am like the "old" her
2) her point was this: HOW DARE we think that calories and exercise, etc. is as important as spending time with our families.
Basically she said, wouldn't you rather be happy-go-lucky and fun to be around and THERE for your friends and family rather than be 15 pounds lighter and have an awesome body?
To that I say YES!!!
Right now I am 13 pounds heavier than I was last summer and even though I cringe to put on a swimsuit and I can BARELY squeeze into my shorts, I refuse to "kick it up a notch" and start working out more, therein robbing precoius time from the ones who mean the most to me. That is NOT to say I'm going to quit working out or quit eating right..I will NEVER stop those things. They are my lifestyle. But, when I start to see some pounds creeping up, I'm not going to suddenly decide to start working out twice as much, like I have in the past. (trying to do P90X AND Insanity every day!)
30 minutes to 1 hour of exercise a day is PLENTY and is my new goal. Somedays that may be playing in the pool with the kids, or going for a bike ride and NOT doing a dvd workout and SO WHAT?!?! I am so excited about getting my priorities straightened out. Being a size 4 or 6 is nice, sure...but it is VERY hard for me to maintain. But I can comfortably be a size 8 without having to kill myself to stay there...and really, what's so horrible about a size 8?
When I'm gone, I don't want people to remember me for my muscles and toned body..I want them to remember the things that REALLY matter--that I was happy and fun and a blessing and joy. That my life was centered around CHRIST!
ya know?
I think you and I, even though we are at different stages of our lives, are still in the same boat. Let's make a pact to start writing down our food (as much as we can) and exercising in SOME way for 30 minutes a day.
I've recently read a wonderful book called "A Woman After God's Own Heart". If you haven't read it--GET IT! You will love love love it-just like I have.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Hugs and Love,
Jen