Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Relationships

It seems like the past few days I have talked to friends who tell me about relationships where there is so much turmoil, stress, trouble, anger, etc. And I think about what I hear... I, of course, only hear what I am told, and I don't know all details, but as I am listening, I am realizing so much that is just all boils down to the big bad "S" word.....SELF!!!!!!!!!! Yes, everyone wants their own way. Do it like I do... be like me....please me....give me....make me happy....cater to me....think about me... what about my feelings..... what do you do for me.... how will that benefit me....blah..blah...blah..me...me...me....I..I...I...my...my...my....mine...mine....mine...self..self..SELF!!
So how do we conquer this business of self? Well.... The first step would be to recognize our own selfishness, not just other people's. I certainly recognize mine. And the only way we can do battle with this is to enlist the help of God. I gotta add this to my list of goals for 2009....think less of self, and more of others. I already said to spend more time in God's Word, and to pray more. So I will keep this at the top of my prayer list... for God to keep me focused on Him and off of self. How about you? Do you have a problem with a relationship? Do you have a problem with self? Maybe look at the problem in light of this, and see if changes could be made. It's a big job, but not too big for our God.

1 comment:

Ellie Hamilton said...

What a wonderful post, Dee! I agree, so many relationships -- marriages, friendships, business relationships -- go bad because someone feels they aren't getting what *they* need or want from the other person. It would be so different if we asked ourselves, "Is my partner or friend getting what they need from me?"