Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Getting Stronger

Day after day I work out and sometimes I feel sluggish, tired, and OLD!!! But not today! Today at FF, I was able to easily handle the 12 lb. bar instead of the 9 lb. bar. So yes, yes, yes, I am getting stronger. What I find out works best which I think I have mentioned before is to challenge yourself with a heavier weight. Use it only long enough that you do proper form, and when you start to give in and slouch, go to the lighter weight. Over time as your muscles tear down and rebuild, you become stronger. Today I was able to complete the entire series of exercises with the heavier weight. I say this not to brag, but just to encourage you to continue to make it a habit of challenging yourself to do more- either more weight, more reps, or working out for a longer time. You learn to know when you are helping your body and when you are hurting it. So try it today- go for that heavier weight and see yourself become stronger!

4 comments:

vlad said...

Is riding a geared mountain bike as good an aerobic exercise as spinning on a stationary bike? Going uphill I shift to lower gears as necessary and keep plodding. My daily five to six mile ride takes about an hour and tends to cure what ails me.

Dee said...

Well, vlad, I know who you are and how old you are, and I think that the fact you are riding a geared bike 5-6 miles with a knee replacement is great!! For me, the spinning class is something that I can do before daylight (6:00am) without the worry of getting hit by a motor vehicle, and I can decide my own terrain by how I adjust the tension. So... a stationary bicycle is to a geared bike as a treadmill is to running outdoors.

vlad said...

Perhaps some fear that knee replacement will limit them. Dr Jackson Wagnon did a great job. I had TKR June 29 '07, followed orders re rehab and rode my bike again Sep 5, and almost daily since. We live in a wonderful time
when we can elect joint replacement.
There is a tv ad where a nonagenarian
who plays hockey said that some tell him to slow down because of his hip replacement. He retorted, "I got the new hip so I can speed up."
Age is a number and an attitude.

Dee said...

I love your post about aging. I hope that I can say the same thing as the years go on. Thanks for your comment.