Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It's a Habit

I do think that my exercise is a habit. I've mentioned before that for something to be a habit you do it for 21 days. Some people say 28 days. Well, I have been doing FF and spinning now for 10-11 weeks. That means close to 75 days. And I would say that my exercise is definitely a habit. I think the hardest part of exercise is being consistent and doing it everyday. When it does become a habit, you almost are compelled to do it. If you miss, you mentally feel bad. I mean you feel guilty, like you have let someone down. Today when I woke up, I had a headache. I debated back and forth am I going or am I staying? I decided to stay at home and I took some Advil and laid in the bed awhile longer. Yes, I felt kinda guilty, but I still knew it was the right thing to do because I knew had I gone, my headache would have gotten worse and I would have really just been spinning my wheels and not had a good workout. So what about my exercise today? Did I miss? No way! In fact I did double duty later in the day. I swam for 36 laps which took close to an hour and then I went for a 10 mile bike ride. Now I do realize that some days I have more time than other people do. My point is- make it fit your schedule. And always aim for 6 days a week and then if you make 4 or 5 you are still doing good. No matter how often you do it, some is better than none. Don't beat yourself up if you miss, but just keep trying to make it part of your life- just like brushing your teeth. It is something that you do. It is just a habit!

No comments: